The Who Now??
An alchemist is a revered and respected person who transforms metals to gold through a seemingly magical process. Alchemy is a medieval chemical science and speculative philosophy aiming to achieve the transmutation of the base metals into gold, the discovery of a universal cure for disease, and the discovery of a means of indefinitely prolonging life- and yes, I googled that. LOL.
Before the big words turn you off from reading this book- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, just know it’s not some science fiction book about metals and out of space travels (not that there’s anything wrong with that!)
It’s a story about a young man in search of his treasure. The treasure here being used metaphorically to mean destiny. Purpose. I will not ruin that amazing story for you, but instead share my favourite quotes from the book and write on what I learnt.
- When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it– I have always had this strong belief that when I really want something (or someone…hehe…for networking!) The Universe always finds a way to make it happen. I see this as sometimes coincidences where I just leap at the opportunity, or even planned situations where I really did make an effort to get that thing or person- to network with! This clearly shows that you just don’t sit and wait, but make your effort and the universe will respond in your favour.
- The Principle of favourability. Take advantage when luck is on your side and do as much to help it, as it’s doing to help you. Also known as beginners luck-Ever found yourself on a winning in life streak? Got a new job and everyone is praising you for your hard work, you secure a client that was impossible to get, you organise a LIT office party, like, you can do no wrong? That my friend is your beginners luck. It will fade yes, but while you still have it, MILK IT DRY. Have the ear of the boss, try get that promotion/ raise, implement a new system that has your name all over it. Yaani use that luck to your utmost advantage. That way when it runs out, hey, you’ll have something to show for it! (I am currently running on this by the way, working overtime!)
- If you pay attention to the present,you can improve it. If you improve on the present what comes later will also be better. Each day, in itself brings with it eternity- Have I mentioned how much I LOVED this book? Ok. So here, what I understood is as much as we cannot control the future, we can help create a favourable path towards it NOW. We must sow those seeds, NOW. That’s why they say, “You wanna be a boss? Start dressing and thinking like one.”
- Love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny.Whooooo child! This one really hit home. This is for you single lady/guy. There are times an opportunity comes our way and because we are in a committed relationship, and want to get hitched yesterday, we feel we need to abandon our desires of pursuing that purpose, since we do not know if we will ever achieve it and instead work with what we have right in front of us. In the book, the alchemist tells the boy that love can never keep him from pursing his destiny and yes he can ignore it and settle down but at some point he will be miserable asking, “What If?” Perhaps Coelho wanted to say that we women can distract ourselves with prospects of a family and children but a man will be haunted forever. Do you agree with this? Hmmm… I think women can do both.
- People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams because they feel the don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them– I think we have all been there. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and ask yourself ” Ehe? So what’s the worst that could happen if I actually pursue this?”
- The fear of suffering is worse than suffering itself– Brethren! We focus on the worst things that could happen if we pursue our dreams, yet the worst that could actually happen isn’t even that bad! Imagine it can be done? Put fear to the side, go out there and conquer your world!
I could go on and on but you need to get the book and read it for yourself to fully understand why this book could change your life. Forever.
Have you read this inspiring book or any other? What was it about? Recommend it below and we just might read it, thanks to you!
Love. Live. Learn